Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Day 3 - $100 Challenge

I think it's easier to do this when the kids are not roaming around the house on weekends constantly asking for food.  My lunch game was strong with the veggie soup that I prepped the night before along with some additional muffins to toss into the freezer.  I looked at their lunches and realized that there was no dairy, so I threw together a milk-based fruit smoothie with bananas and frozen berries.  I always have frozen berries in the freezer.  Smoothie as their drink was a big hit - I've never done that before.

Instead of quiche as my one word....today's magic word is PORK.  For dinner I pulled together a pork stir fry with fresh veggies and rice.  I cooked it a little too long accidentally because the veggies should have had a bit more crunch to them, but I personally enjoyed it and the kids did a decent job too.  Charlotte was kind of annoying with it, but she ate the rice and some veggies.

Back to PORK --- Because I am allowed to use whatever is in the freezer for this challenge, I was pulled out some pork that I basically always have on hand.  I buy an entire giant pork loin at Sam's Club and once I get home I cut it down into reasonable family-sized pieces freeze each in their own zip lock bag.  I typically make pulled pork in my instant pot, pork schnitzel (pound very thin, bread, and pan fry), baked pork chops, or stir fry.  A Mexican shredded pork also works for Taco Tuesday, but I have not tried that yet.  Another Sam's Club no-brainer is the already roasted chickens that you can bring home and pull the meat off the bone to freeze plus the carcass for broth.  Those stupid things are delicious and $4 each or something ridiculous.

Here is a summary -
Breakfast = cereal and fruit
Snack = half a bagel with jelly or a bag of pretzels
Lunch = hearty vegetable soup with saltines, harvest mix, milk-based smoothie with banana & berries



Dinner = Pork, broccoli, pepper stir fry with brown rice



No comments:

Post a Comment