Wednesday, March 20, 2013

aaaaahhhh, bath time


I used to fear bath time. Bath time equaled one too many slippery babies with way too much water. Each bath ended with my being completely exhausted and sweating from nervous energy and physical exhaustion. I could never consider doing it alone and it was a problem. Don't get me wrong, it was really cute at times, but I still feared it. That said, my babies were often slightly dirtier than other babies, but somehow the 2 year mark made all the difference for change. Perhaps it was a self-fulfilling prophecy that I created saying to myseld, "they're 2 now and they can all take a bath together and it will be fine." Perhaps. 

I recently took them up to the bath and everything changed. Suddenly they had the ability to control their bodies without the threat of knocking themselves or each other over, they were joyous and completely freaking out with excitement over the water, and they were totally happy and needed very little from me. That was the thing. I was able to sit back for a moment and watch. I was not stopping one hand from reaching for the faucet while catching another from slipping under while still watching one more out of the corner of my eye. I was actually stepping away and watching my three joyous two year olds enjoy a bath; enjoy the sensation of sitting and splashing or feeling droplets hit their faces when they accidentally turned on the shower. Suddenly this motherhood moment that I felt like I was somehow missing out on turned from "AAAAAAAHHHH BATH TIME" to "aaaaaahhh bath time".

No comments:

Post a Comment