Monday, October 22, 2018

Day 1 - $100 Challenge

Okay - I entered this challenge feeling very confident, but Day 1 did not really go that well.  I don't think my Day 1 food selection was very smart.  SOOOO much starch that it made me feel guilty and totally grossed out after dinner.  What was I thinking doing a potato chowder for lunch AND pancakes for dinner.  I thought the kids would love it (WHICH THEY DID), but there was little to no color in their food which is a good indicator of nutrition.

Also, I did some prep to load up the freezer a bit for snacks & lunches.  I bought a large can of pumpkin and knocked out a batch of oatmeal pumpkin muffins along with two loaves of pumpkin bread.  Again with the carbs.  Thankfully they always get carrots and cucumbers in their lunches.  Along with the pumpkin stuff, I have a great go-to freeze ahead pizza roll that I like to keep in the freezer.  The kids love them.  I was doing too much at once and did not notice that the timer went off...burning my pizza rolls.  HASTE MAKES WASTE.

That said, this morning I ran to Aldi's with only $20 to spend and I filled in my ingredients to add veggie soup so I can increase the nutritional value for the week.  That and I ran out of eggs and butter in two seconds plus Bax is complaining that he wants bagels.  Picky kids make this much more difficult than it should be.

Here is a recap of Day 1 with pics.  I did not edit the photos at all, so they look terrible.  Oh well.


Breakfast = Bird's Nest with apples
Lunch = Potato Corn Chowder with apples
Dinner = Pancakes with blueberry sauce (made from fresh in my fridge) and strawberry yogurt


 Snack Prep = Pizza Rolls that went south and Oatmeal Pumpkin muffins 
which seem to be a hit as per Baxter this morning.





No comments:

Post a Comment